What are you doing to prepare your business and employees for the downturn in the economy?
Impact on Wage Increases
By now, the majority of Sectoral Determinations as well as Bargaining Council Collective Agreements have linked annual increases to CPIX, with variations of CPIX plus X% increases being implemented.
This all seemed acceptable when inflation was 6% or 7%. With projected inflation being 12% in the near future, wage increases are now reaching levels last seen in the 1980's. It is not inconceivable that wage increases will soon be in the region of 15% - 17%.
Employees who occupy senior or skilled positions, or who possess so-called scarce skills (CA's, Engineers, Economists, Artisans etc) will see the balance of power shift in their favour in "demands" for annual increases in remuneration packages. Companies may find that they will need to accede to these requests simply to retain critical skills within their organisations.
The increasing cost of labour (along with associated costs of benefits) will see the opportunity cost of implementing costly technological solutions increasingly reduced. Will HR become the first victim of this process?
Mergers and Acquisition / Joint Ventures
Organisations will increasingly see the cost benefits of either merging with competitors or acquiring them. The opportunity to reduce costs, utilise scare skills and talent and share technological resources should be sufficient reason to increasingly explore these avenues.
- Reduced Consumer Demand
- Life Skills for Employees
(this is a work in progress. Please return for more discussion around this topic, or send us your views)
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/gwdhmoih/public_html/templates/gk_news2/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 176
- Quarterly Labour Force Survey, Q2: 2018
- There's a new way of measuring poverty in South Africa: Here's how it works
- The World Bank is finding new ways to understand South Africa's issues
- Trade unions hold briefing on public sector wage negotiations
- The development of a talent management framework for the private sector
Latest from Gary Watkins
- CCMA’S OPERATIONS DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
- RSM South Africa: Do you have a recovery plan?
- National Planning Commission on small business as spine of economic recovery and stimulation for post Coronavirus COVID-19 era
- Tourism Minister hosts a media briefing on Lockdown Alert Level 3
- Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane on Coronavirus COVID-19 alert level 3 tourism sector directions